About this tour
Join us on a unique combination of Rødne’s 2-hour fjord cruise and Outdoorlife Norway’s Preikestolen Autumn Hike. Cruise through the Lysefjord, experience Norway’s crisp, cool mountain air, and feast your eyes on the imposing cliff, which hangs 604 meters above the Lysefjord, from below. Then enjoy an autumn hike on trails that were recently upgraded by Nepalese Sherpas. While standing atop Preikestolen, witness the magic of the season’s shifting colors and some of the most spectacular views Norway has to offer.
Your adventure starts early-afternoon in Stavanger, with a 2-hour Rødne fjord cruise, during which you’ll view Stavanger from a different perspective and get an overview of the surrounding fjords, islands, and mountains. Having left Stavanger behind, you’ll travel through the Høgsfjord, before navigating under a suspension bridge that spans the mouth of the Lysefjord. Here, steep mountain walls towering hundreds of meters above the fjord emerge. You’ll then be able to feast your eyes on majestic Preikestolen, which appears to reach into the sky above the spectacular Lysefjord. While the cruise navigates back out of the fjord, you’ll visit Vagabond’s cove, where Rødne will share the legend of this mysterious natural landmark. The captain will also carefully steer the boat’s bow up to the Hengjane waterfall, where you’ll have the opportunity to sample its crystal-clear water. During the cruise, you’ll can choose between enjoying the striking scenery from the comfort of the boat’s sheltered cabin, or venturing out onto the spacious sundeck.
Back at the mouth of the Lysefjord, the second part of your adventure begins. Back on land, you’ll meet your hiking guide, who will transport you further to the base of the hiking trail. After a short briefing, you’ll start your hike to Preikestolen.
By October, visitor numbers have become dramatically lower than during the summer. The area’s flora and fauna prepare for the long, dark winter, and stillness sets in across Norway’s vast wilderness. Autumn is the perfect time of year to experience the Lysefjord and Preikestolen from a unique perspective. The shadows become longer with every day that passes, and the ambient light seems to dance across the fjord’s mountainsides. Snow, when present, offers a splendid contrast to the flame-colored foliage.
Your guide will lead you up through the shifting terrain and onward to the mountain’s plateau. This late in the year, weather conditions are constantly changing. As needed, you’ll adjust the equipment you use (ice spikes, etc.) in accordance with the changing conditions. Along the way, there will be opportunities to catch your breath and snap photos of the spectacular nature around you.
After 2.5 hours* of trekking, you’ll be rewarded with panoramic views of some of the most dramatic scenery Fjord-Norway has to offer. Standing atop the 604-meter-high cliff, the views of the Lysefjord and surrounding mountains are nothing short of awe-inspiring. On top of that, you’ll have the privilege of becoming one of the few to have experienced Preikestolen off-season =)
After a well-deserved break at the cliff’s edge, your guide will lead you back down to Preikestolen Mountain Lodge (we strongly recommend this modern, cozy lodge as a place to overnight after your hike), which will take about 2 hours*.
On your way back down the trail, you’ll be facing Stavanger and the ocean while hiking into the sunset. If you’re lucky, the sunset will paint the horizon with vivid colors. Once darkness falls, your guide will provide you with headlamps to ensure that you safely navigate the last stretch of the trail. On the drive back to Stavanger, you guide will take a different route, which includes a second 40-minute ferry crossing. You’ll arrive back in Stavanger full of unique memories that will surely last a lifetime.
11:00am Fjord cruise departure Stavanger
13:00 (1:00pm)* Transfer to trailhead
13:30 (1:30pm)* Start of hike
18:30 (6:30pm)* End of hike
19:30 (7:30pm)* Return to Stavanger
What do I need?
- Proper hiking boots*
- Warm, thick socks x 2
- Water-resistant pants*
- Rain-proof jacket*
- Fleece or woolen sweater
- Warm hat and gloves*
- Small backpack*
- Packed lunch / water / snacks
*items can also be rented
Good to know
- Distance 8 km, ascent 500 m
- Minimum age 8 years old
- Please do not book tours that exceed your skill-level or physical abilities
- This tour is Suitable for participants who are generally in good physical condition & have previous hiking experience
- Due to the possibility of rapidly-changing weather conditions, it may be necessary to make changes to scheduled trips. In the event that your trip needs to be rescheduled for another day or cancelled on short notice, you may choose between joining the rescheduled trip or getting a refund. In the event that weather conditions deteriorate during your trip, it may be necessary to turn around on the trail or head back earlier than planned. If this happens, no refunds will be given. NOTE: We cannot guarantee that the sunset will be visible during all hikes.
- As with all outdoor activities, weather is not something humans can control. Based on our experiences with past guests, we don’t cancel our tours in advance because of grey skies, light rain, or fog. Guests have a wide range of expectations, but it is our experience that most would rather go through with their hike, regardless of the weather conditions. Hiking under blue skies is nice, but there is also beauty in hiking through clouds, fog, and light rain. Some of the most spectacular sunsets have resulted from such conditions =)
What is included in the price?
- 2-hour fjord cruise
- Professional guide
- Use of snow spikes (if needed)
- Use of hiking poles
- Use of head lamp
- Hot beverages & snack
- Stavanger hotel drop-off